Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke, D.D., J.C.D.
The Natural Law-catechizing for the common good
Audio presentations from 2012 Consecration Weekend.
- The Common Good by Father Roger J. Scheckel, Spiritual Advisor of the Marian Catechist Apostolate (59:09)
- The Natural Moral Law by Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke (39:19)
- The Conscience by Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke (65:37)
Excellent resources for understanding the natural law:
- Establishing the Natural Law (printable PDF) by Reverend Raymond Smith, O.P., Ph.D. Printed copy available from the Marian Catechist bookstore.
- Written on the Heart, The Case for Natural Law by J. Budziszewski. Book available from Marian Catechist bookstore.
- Address by Pope Benedict XVI, The Listening Heart (printable PDF).
- Address by Pope Benedict XVI in Westminister (printable PDF).
- Catechism of the Catholic Church: Common Good, paragraphs 1905-1912; Natural Moral Law, paragraphs 1954-1960; Moral Conscience, paragraphs 1777-1778.
The Sacred Liturgy
Audio presentations from the Marian Catechist Apostolate's 2011 Consecration Weekend. Recording quality is poor, but we still wanted to share these with you.
- The Sacred Liturgy, the highest expression of our Faith and God's right to be worshipped (45:38)
- Continued: The worship owed to God (47:01)
- The Beauty of Christ in the Sacred Liturgy through the Language (45.23)
Transforming Hearts to Christ...Both Mine and Others
Saving the family and the culture by building a Civilization of Love through the Enthronement and Consecration of the Family and the Home to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Presentation given July 29, 2011 for the Diocese of La Crosse Catechetical Conference in La Crosse, Wisconsin.
Scandal given by Catholic Politicians
Presentation focuses on the need for following the natural moral law and fully respecting the gift of human life and the integrity of marriage and the family. Then-Archbishop Burke explains the scandal brought about by Catholic politicians who favor abortion and same-sex marriage, and the need for their public repentance. He states, "It is not possible to be a practicing Catholic and to conduct oneself publicly in this manner." Presentation given at 5th World Prayer Congress for Life to pro-life leaders from 45 nations in Rome on Saturday, October 9, 2010.
End of Life Issues
Audio presentations given to Marian Catechists during 2010 Consecration Weekend.
- The Mystery of Human Suffering and Dying (41:02)
- The Christian Care of the Suffering and Dying (46:40)
- Moral Questions regarding Death and Christian Burial of the Dead (46:.40)
Homilies during Consecration Weekend 2010:
- First Friday's Homily audio presentation (14:20)
Marian Catechists are consecrated to be heralds of the Mystery of Faith.
- First Saturday's Homily audio presentation (13:48)
Votive Mass of Our Lady of Guadalupe Patroness of the Marian Catechist Apostolate.
- Sunday's Homily audio presentation (18:52) - Transcript
The Consecration of Marian Catechists to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
- Question and Answer audio presentation (34:34) - Cardinal Burke answers questions from Marian Catechists.
Documents available for further study of End of Life Issues:
The Mystery of Human Suffering and Dying
Declaration on Euthanasia, Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, 5 May 1980
Respect for the Dignity of the Dying, Pontifical Academy for Life, 9 December 2000
Salvifici doloris, On the Christian Meaning of Human Suffering, Apostolic Letter of Pope John Paul II, 11 February 1984
The Christian Care of the Suffering and Dying
Life-Sustaining Treatments and the Vegetative State: Scientific Advances and Ethical Dilemmas, Address of Pope John Paul II to the participants of the International Congress, 20 March 2004
Nutrition and Hydration: Moral and Pastoral Reflections, NCCB/USCCB, April 1992
Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care Services, Part V, 5th Edition, NCCB
Responses to Certain Questions of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops concerning Artificial Nutrition and Hydration, Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, 1 August 2007
Palliative care: The new stealth Euthanasia, John Mallon, Celebrate Life Magazine, November/December 2009
Moral Questions regarding Death and the Christian Burial of the Dead
On the Christian Burial of the Dead, Pastoral Letter of The Most Reverend Raymond L. Burke to the Diocese of La Crosse, 2 November 2000
The Sacrament of Penance:
Audio presentations given to Marian Catechists during 2009 Consecration Weekend at the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe, La Crosse, Wisconsin.
- Sacrament of Penance, presentation Number One (50:22)
- Sacrament of Penance, presentation Number Two (49:26)
- Sacrament of Penance, presentation Number Three (1:09)
Homilies given during Consecration Weekend 2009:
- First Friday's Homily (8:00) - Hosea 11:1, 3-4, 8c-9; John 19:31-37
Votive Mass of the Sacred Heart, Uniting our hearts to the Pierced Heart of Jesus.
- First Saturday's Homily (10:05) - Saint Dominic de Guzman, Founder of Dominican Order
Catechists find a strong model in Saint Dominic.
- Sunday's Homily (14:24) 1 Kings 19:4-8; Ephesians 4:30-5:2; John 6:41-51
How the Marian Catechists' spiritual practices draw hearts closer to the Sacred Heart of Jesus
The Legacy of Father John A. Hardon, S.J.
2010 National Meeting of the Institute on Religious Life held at Mundelein Seminary in Mundelein, Illinois, from April 9th through April 11th. Theme for the weekend: The Theological, Spiritual and Apostolic Legacy of Rev. John A. Hardon, S.J., Servant of God. Father Hardon was the principal founder of the Institute on Religious Life in 1974, and he spent much time and energy working for the authentic renewal of the consecrated life, catechetics, Catholic family life, pro-life efforts and Marian devotion. The priestly life and ministry of Father Hardon was highlighted throughout the weekend, all the presentations are available for purchase through the Marian Catechist Bookstore.
Most Reverend Thomas G. Doran, Bishop of Rockford hosted a banquet and presented Then-Most Reverend Raymond L. Burke with the 2010 Pro Fidelitate et Virtute Award. The annual award is bestowed upon individuals who manifest a strong love for the Church and a zealous commitment to the consecrated life. Then-Archbishop Burke was recognized for all that he has done to support and promote the consecrated life, as well for his staunch defense of the Catholic Faith and his efforts to further the apostolic vision of Father John A. Hardon, S.J.
- Keynote Address: "For the Greater Glory of God: The Lasting Legacy of Father John A. Hardon," Audio (1:06)
- Acceptance Address of the 2010 Pro Fidelitate et Virtute Award, Audio (28:43)
Obedience to the Magisterium and the Responsibility of the Bishop to the Laity
Presentation given at the 2006 Church Teaches Forum. Used with permission.
Father Peter Damian M. Fehlner, F.I.
Father Peter Damian M. Fehlner, F.I., is a member of the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate and was the Rector of the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe from 2008-2012. Father Peter is a native of Dolgeville, New York. He was ordained in Rome in 1957, and received his Doctorate in Sacred Theology from the Seraphicum in Rome in 1959. For over 40 years, he has taught dogmatic theology in various seminaries and university faculties. He has written and lectured extensively, especially on things Marian and Franciscan, in North America and Europe; for five years, he was editor of the magazine Miles Immaculatae founded by Saint Maximilian Kolbe and has been featured on EWTN. He is a member of the General Council of the Franciscans of the Immaculate and a Professor of Theology in the Franciscans' Institute of Ecclesiastical Studies, the Immaculatum (STIM) in Frigento, Italy.
- Course Number One: Basic Course Questions
- Course Number Two: Advanced Course Questions
- Course Number Three: Masters of the Spiritual Life Talks
- Jesus of Nazareth, by Pope Benedict XV. Listen to a lecture on each chapter.
Benedict Nguyen, M.T.S., J.C.L., J.D.
Benedict Nguyen holds a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Liturgical Musicology from the University of Kansas, a Master of Theological Studies (M.T.S.) from the University of Dallas, a Licentiate in Canon Law (J.C.L.) from the Catholic University of America, and a Doctorate in Civil Law (J.D.) from Hamline University School of Law, where he received the CALI Award for Outstanding Achievement in Critical Legal Studies in Law and Religion. He is an Adjunct Professor for the Institute for Pastoral Theology of Ave Maria University and Visiting Lecturer for the Liturgical Institute at Mundelein Seminary. He is former Chancellor of the Diocese of La Crosse, Wisconsin and a frequent presenter on theological and legal topics.
Audio Presentations given at Saint James the Less Catholic Church in La Crosse, Wisconsin in March 2010:
Understanding Vatican II--audio
- Part 1, History and Themes of Vatican II (1:42)
- Part 2, The Liturgy and the Nature of the Church According to Vatican II (1:42)
- Part 3, The Scriptures and the Church in the Modern World According to Vatican II (1:44)
The New Age: The Dangers You Should Know
Three prolific theologians, Father Mitch Pacwa, S.J., Father Peter Damian Fehlner, F.I. and Father Brian Mullady, O.P., delivered these most illuminating conferences on the whole truth and dangers of the New Age Movement.
Other helpful documents and books about the New Age Movement include:
- Jesus Christ, the Bearer of the Water of Life, A Christian reflection on the "New Age," by the Pontifical Council for Culture.
- A Call to Vigilance, a Pastoral Instruction on the New Age by Cardinal Norberto Rivera Carrera.
- Guidelines for Evaluating Reiki as an Alternative Therapy, by the Committee on Doctrine, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. "A Catholic who puts his or her trust in Reiki would be operating in the realm of superstition, the no-man's-land that is neither faith nor science. Superstition corrupts one's worship of God by turning one's religious feeling and practice in a false direction. While sometimes people fall into superstition through ignorance, it is the responsibility of all who teach in the name of the Church to eliminate such ignorance as much as possible" (n. 11).
- "Why is Yoga incompatible with Catholicism?", by Father John A. Hardon, S.J., The Catholic Faith, Volume 4, Number 2, March/April 1998. Used with permission.
- "Moral questions surrounding the usage of yoga in modern times," by Father Paul A. La Fontaine, The Catholic Servant, January 2009. Used with permission.
- The New Age Counterfeit, by Johnnette S. Benkovic. (Easy to read and understand.)
- Catholics and the New Age, Father Mitch Pacwa, S.J.
- Learn to Discern: Is it Christian or New Age?, by Susan Brinkmann, OCDS. A series of small booklets on specific practices such as Reiki, Therapeutic Touch, Crystal Healing, Acupuncture, Reflexology, Centering Prayer, Transcendental Meditation, Yoga, Superstition, A Course in Miracles, Human Potential Movement, Hypnosis, Wicca/Witchcraft, Psychics/Channeling, Astrology/Horoscopes, Tarot Cards, Ouija Board, Labryinth, Enneagram, Dreamwork, etc. (Easy to read and understand.)
The audio presentations below were produced for the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate by the Academy of the Immaculate, a non-profit organization founded to publish Marian and Catholic literature and multimedia. Used with permission. We recommend listening to these in the order below.
Father Mitch Pacwa, S.J., renowned biblical scholar, lecturer and host of several radio and television programs on the Eternal Word Television Network (EWTN)
- What the New Age Is and Is Not (1:09)
- The Age of Aquarius (51:22)
- History of the New Age Movement (1:02)
- Some Influences and Effects of the New Age (46:01)
- The Enneagram (1:19)
- False Ideas About Christ (1:25)
Father Peter Damian Fehlner, F.I., dogmatic theologian, Mariologist and renowned Franciscan preacher
Father Brian Mullady, O.P., dogmatic theologian, professor and preacher
- The Nature of Revelation (56:13)
- The Theology of Prayer (44:09)
- The Concept of the Real Presence of God (1:15)
- Course Number One: Basic Catholic Catechism Course
- Course Number Two: Advanced Catholic Catechism Course
- Course Number Three: Masters of the Spiritual Life Course
Other Helpful Resources
- Catechism of the Catholic Church
- Catholic Encyclopedia
- Catholics United for the Faith
- Church Fathers by Subject
- Church Fathers by Author
- Code of Canon Law (1983)
- Missio Magazine
- Summa Theologica
Catechisms (available through the Marian Catechist Bookstore)
- Faith and Life Series (1-8)
- Image of God Series (Pre-K - 8)
- Where did I come From? Where Am I Going? How Do I Get There?
- Little Catechism on the Eucharist
- The Sacrament of Confirmation
- RCIA Association for Catechumenal Ministry (ACM)
- Baltimore Catechisms
- C.R. Publications
- The Truth Will Set You Free
Catholic News Sources
- Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta
- Cardinal Newman Society (Catholic Colleges)
- Catholic Answers
- Catholic Definitions
- Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights
- Courage/Encourage (Ministry for individuals with same-sex attraction)
- Early Church Fathers
- EWTN Library
- Human Life International
- Jewish Issues
- Liturgy of the Hours
- Mater Ecclesiae Fund for Vocations
- National Catholic Bioethics Center
- New Advent Encyclopedia
- Summa Theologica
- Vatican Library
The Holy Mass
- A Biblical Walk Through the Mass, by Edward Sri
- A Guide to the New Translation of The Mass, by Edward Sri (question and answer booklet)
- Benedict XVI and the Sacred Liturgy, Neil J. Roy and Janet E. Rutherford, ed.
- Daily Roman Missal for the New Translation of the Liturgy
- The Mass, Its Mysteries Revealed, by Pat Morse (A book written by someone other than Father Hardon has to be pretty special to be distributed by Eternal Life.)
- The General Instruction of the Roman Missal, USCCB, 3rd Edition
Other Father Hardon Apostolates
- Real Presence Eucharistic Education and Adoration Association
- Eternal Life Publishers distributes Father Hardon’s books, catechisms, etc. All Catholics are invited to peruse the excellent books, catechisms, and audio tape albums. Even the small pieces, the booklets, leaflets, and prayer cards, are wonderful.
- Father Hardon Media Apostolate
- Institute on Religious Life
- Father John A. Hardon, S.J. Archive and Guild
The Real Presence of Christ in the Holy Eucharist
- See Marty Barrack's article, The Eucharist in Scripture.
- Also see Mike & Carole Breslin’s article, Corpus Christi: The Body and Blood of Christ.
- Vatican Index of Recent Popes
- Pope Benedict XVI
- Pope John Paul II
- Pope John Paul I
- Pope Paul VI
- Pope Pius XII
- Pope Pius XI
- Pope Benedict XV
- Pope St. Pius X
- Pope Leo XIII
Respect Life Resources
- American Life League
- Priests for Life
- National American Holocaust Memorial
- National Catholic Bioethics Center
- National Right to Life
- Project Rachel (post abortion help and healing)
- ProLife Across America (The Billboard People)
- United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Father Hardon wrote a foreword for Marty Barrack’s book, Second Exodus, and asked him to start the Second Exodus website.
- Particularly useful on this website are the Vatican Documents library arranged by subject, and the Catholic Definitions, but there is also much more.
- Catechism of the Catholic Church
- Code of Canon Law (1983)
- Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith
- Jubilee 2000
- Précis of Official Catholic Teaching
- Vatican Archive
- Vatican Congregation Documents
- Vatican Documents Index
- Vatican Documents Index by Subject
- Vatican II
Father Hardon's Recommended Reading (see Marian Catechist Manual)
- Catechesi Tradendae, "On Catechesis in Our Time"
- Evangelii Nuntiandi, "Proclaiming the Gospel to All People"
- Familiaris Consortio, "On the Role of the Christian Family in the Modern World"