The New Age: The Dangers You Should Know
Three prolific theologians, Father Mitch Pacwa, S.J., Father Peter Damian Fehlner, F.I. and Father Brian Mullady, O.P., delivered these most illuminating conferences on the whole truth and dangers of the New Age Movement.
Other helpful documents and books about the New Age Movement include:
- Jesus Christ, the Bearer of the Water of Life, A Christian reflection on the “New Age,” by the Pontifical Council for Culture.
- A Call to Vigilance, a Pastoral Instruction on the New Age by Cardinal Norberto Rivera Carrera.
- Guidelines for Evaluating Reiki as an Alternative Therapy, by the Committee on Doctrine, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. “A Catholic who puts his or her trust in Reiki would be operating in the realm of superstition, the no-man’s-land that is neither faith nor science. Superstition corrupts one’s worship of God by turning one’s religious feeling and practice in a false direction. While sometimes people fall into superstition through ignorance, it is the responsibility of all who teach in the name of the Church to eliminate such ignorance as much as possible” (n. 11).
- “Why is Yoga incompatible with Catholicism?“, by Father John A. Hardon, S.J., The Catholic Faith, Volume 4, Number 2, March/April 1998. Used with permission.
- “Moral questions surrounding the usage of yoga in modern times,” by Father Paul A. La Fontaine, The Catholic Servant, January 2009. Used with permission.
- Learn to Discern: Is it Christian or New Age?, by Susan Brinkmann, OCDS.
The Learn to Discern Compendium is a compilation of years of research by award-winning journalist Susan Brinkmann OCDS about one of the most dangerous cultural and religious movements of our time – the New Age. Specific practices such as Reiki, Therapeutic Touch, Crystal Healing, Acupuncture, Reflexology, Centering Prayer, Transcendental Meditation, Yoga, Superstition, A Course in Miracles, Human Potential Movement, Hypnosis, Wicca/Witchcraft, Psychics/Channeling, Astrology/Horoscopes, Tarot Cards, Ouija Board, Labryinth, Enneagram, Dreamwork, etc. included in this book. (Easy to read and understand.)
The audio presentations below were produced for the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate by the Academy of the Immaculate, a non-profit organization founded to publish Marian and Catholic literature and multimedia. Used with permission. We recommend listening to these in the order below.
Father Mitch Pacwa, S.J., renowned biblical scholar, lecturer and host of several radio and television programs on the Eternal Word Television Network (EWTN)
- What the New Age Is and Is Not (1:09)
- The Age of Aquarius (51:22)
- History of the New Age Movement (1:02)
- Some Influences and Effects of the New Age (46:01)
- The Enneagram (1:19)
- False Ideas About Christ (1:25)
Father Peter Damian Fehlner, F.I., dogmatic theologian, Mariologist and renowned Franciscan preacher
- New Age–Old Tricks (1:20)
- Question and Answer Session (31:52)
Father Brian Mullady, O.P., dogmatic theologian, professor and preacher
- The Nature of Revelation (56:13)
- The Theology of Prayer (44:09)
- The Concept of the Real Presence of God (1:15)